The Marijuana Industry Group is seeking an Executive Director
Position Summary: The Marijuana Industry Group (MIG) seeks a dynamic leader to build upon past organizational and legislative successes to propel the organization into the future. This individual will work with the MIG Board to carry out the organization’s mission, provide strategic leadership and oversee implementation of the vision and annual plan, as well as provide general operational, administrative and financial management. This position is responsible for building MIG membership, providing assistance to members, and serving as a public expert resource for lawmakers and regulators that impact licensed marijuana businesses. Responsible for communicating with internal members as well as outside stakeholders.
Priority Application Deadline: July 29, 2016
Final Application Deadline: August 5, 2016
Desired Start Date: September 15, 2016
Please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Executive Director of Marijuana Industry Group
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: MIG Staff, contractors, and consultants.
● With guidance from the Board of Directors, provide strategic leadership, operational and financial oversight, as well as administrative assistance to the organization
● Develop and maintain positive working relationships with diverse stakeholders and partners including business owners, trade associations, local and state government and regulatory agencies, non-profits, community groups, and others
● Serve as spokesperson to the media
● Maintain current membership and recruit new members
● Represent MIG at industry and task force/stakeholder meetings and rulemaking sessions
● Understand and communicate pending as well as current rules and regulations pertinent to the medical and/or recreational marijuana industry
● Provide written updates, consultation, and assistance to MIG members
● Assist Officers of the Board and consultants in preparation of Board and Advisory Committee meeting agendas
● Monitor all regulatory proceedings; gather member input; and respond appropriately through public comment, written comment or other means
● Staff MIG workgroups
● Provide technical assistance/background as needed to Governmental Affairs consultants and state and local lawmakers (E.g. preparing fact sheets and providing testimony)
● Provide administrative assistance to the Board of Directors as needed
● Represent MIG at public events
● Coordinate consultants and other contractors to achieve organizational objectives
● Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
Intelligent – We’re looking for someone who is a strategic thinker with the ability to understand complex political and interpersonal dynamics. We want someone with great interpersonal skills who can demonstrate their ability to think on their feet.
Credible – MIG is Colorado’s premier cannabis industry group and our public face must always be worthy of the respect that industry has earned. We’re looking for someone with excellent references who can demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality.
Great Communicator – As the face of the marijuana industry our Executive Director must live the organization’s mission and vision. Must show a track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with diverse stakeholders, department heads, and elected officials. Many parts of this job will require you to be a policy expert who can clearly communicate ideas and policy positions. For that reason you will need to be a good listener, excellent writer, and a polished public speaker. We’re also looking for someone who is open to feedback and can demonstrate a history of being able to help people work together for maximum efficiency and results.
Management – You must have at least one year of experience managing staff or consultants and at least one year managing multifaceted projects. Finally, our organization is committed to a diversity in the industry and we expect that you will have experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
Hard working – this is a prestigious and rewarding position, but it is also one that requires hard work. We are looking for an Executive Director who is meticulous, detail oriented, and willing to attending meetings or fundraisers that often occur outside of normal business hours.
Desired Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
● Advanced degree in law, public policy, or related field.
● Experience recruiting and retaining members.
● Experience in a leadership role in a nonprofit organization.
● Media/marketing experience with an emphasis on earned media.
● Demonstrated ability to manage nonprofit or membership based budgets
● Demonstrated commitment to inclusiveness.
● Established professional network and political contacts.
● Knowledge of cannabis business operations (in addition to policy).